Congratulations, Class of 2012! To parents and families, congratulations on your children’s graduation.
Every one of the current 12th graders entered Keio Academy of New York either in 2008 or 2009. I have been watching all of you grow up since then. In the past two years, under the leadership of Dr. Kilar and other teachers engaged in Student Affairs, and the Dormitory Director, Mr. Konno, the rules for free time, lunch time or study hour have been revised. Although it must have been a challenging experience, the senior students were very cooperative in adopting the change. Thanks to your efforts, now the hallway of the school building during classes is absolutely quiet, a great change to what had been the situation before. No one is lying or sitting on the floor, and there are no backpacks or school materials left on the floor while students are having lunch. School visitors are very impressed that our students are experiencing academic life in an orderly manner at school. As Headmaster, this improvement has made me very happy and proud of you.
Concerning Dormitory life, with a spirit of “freedom and discipline”, I notice more students are trying to make efforts to behave according to the rules and have an orderly life on campus more than before. This is especially true of the end of this school year, the moving-out procedure from the dormitory was incomparably smooth and efficient. No personal belongings were left scattered on the floor or around the garbage bin. Every boarder left the dormitory tidy and organized, as if to say “A bird does not foul the nest that it is about to leave”. This is a noticeable improvement over past years. I would like to praise the class of 2012 students and all the boarders for their commitment. I would like to praise as well the guidance provided by Dormitory Director and the dormitory staff. The boarders will have one more day left at school. I expect you all to continue in your efforts until you officially move out from the dormitory.
When you start to focus your eyes on the outer world, you will find there are many difficulties and problems which are unsolved. In Japan, some of those difficulties include; the after effects of the Great Eastern Earthquake, reconstruction from the accident at the nuclear power generation plant; the increase of our aging population; issues of the social security system; problems created by the high exchange rate of the yen; and economic revitalization. Internationally, there are many more problems, and you should be aware that everything on this earth is related significantly to our lives.
In this difficult time, in the affluent environment of Purchase, New York, you have been extremely privileged to have been able to focus on studying, to devote yourself to activities of student government, club, and volunteering, while not being distracted by intensive preparation for university entrance exams, You must be feeling deeply grateful to your parents who brought you this opportunity. Born in fortunate circumstances is not something you can take credit for, so it is not right to be proud and look down on those who have had different upbringings. However, it is not necessary for you to feel you have a debt to pay, either. What you are expected to do from now on is to make the best of the benefits you earned through your school life at Keio Academy of New York, to make yourself work for other people and contribute to the world.
You should develop your intellect more and more. First, you should keep polishing your English language skills. This is the most effective tool you have received at this school. Next, you should continue reading books. Also, shift more of your attention to the international scene, broaden your knowledge, and think deeply about everything.
Approximately 30 to 40% of the graduates will become university students this September and the rest of about 60% to 70% will start going to university from next April. Please remember your new classmates are still studying for the university entrance examination now every day.
I think the strong points of the students of Keio Academy of New York are being positive, honest, and ability to take action. These days, it is said the young people in Japan are reluctant to go outside from their own country, which means there will be many chances for you to take leadership. Expectations toward you are quite high in Japan, and the world. I truly would like you to keep growing. Among other Keio Gijuku affiliated schools, Keio Academy of New York is still new. It is you who create the value of our school. I wish you all luck from the bottom of my heart.
We, the Faculty and Staff swear to endeavor to make Keio Academy of New York a school from which you will continue to be proud to have graduate.
12th grade students, Congratulations on your graduation!