Physical Education & Health Science
Department Chair: Mr. Yasuhiro Akimoto
This department aims to teach students through a comprehensive curriculum enabling them to carry out a safe and healthy lifestyle.
With a 50:50 ratio of American to Japanese teachers teaching physical education, classes are taught in both English and Japanese, allowing students to learn in a truly bilingual and bicultural environment. 9th and 10th grade physical education classes are co-ed while 11th and 12th grade classes are split by gender depending on the activity.
In health science classes, students use an English textbook, studying and researching health-related issues as well as presenting on topics chosen individually.
Independent Living Skills was offered for the first time in 2014, satisfying the curriculum guidelines for home economics set by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology in Japan. Using a Japanese textbook, students learn essential living skills through their studies and hands-on activities. In addition to this, students' awareness of current affairs in both the US and Japan is heightened through debate and written reports with the ultimate goal of preparing students to become contributing members of society.
The goals of physical education at Keio Academy of New York are:
- To apply what you have learned in class to life both inside and outside of school
- To improve and maintain physical fitness
- To increase awareness of the value of physical fitness
- To learn the effects of exercise on the body
- To acquire and develop the skills related to each activity
- To understand and follow the rules
- To heighten understanding of the rules and strategy of each activity
- To experience positive social relationships through participation in group activities
- To be aware of your environment and follow safety measures
Activities covered include: tennis, soccer, volleyball, basketball, handball, badminton, table tennis, hockey, lacrosse, softball, track & field, judo, yoga (10th-11th grade girls), and a sports test
The main goals of this class are to acquire, interpret, and understand basic knowledge of health information. Class will be taught in Japanese using both English and Japanese text books and handouts. Quizzes and exams will be given in both languages.
The main topics will be:
- Defense mechanisms
- Managing stress
- Tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs
- Body systems- digestive, cardiovascular, respiratory systems, and more
- Growth and development- prenatal development and the birth & life cycle
- First Aid & CPR